HEADQUARTERS, US EUROPEAN COMMAND
UNIT 30400, BOX 1000
APO AE 09128
APPENDIX 1 TO ANNEX L TO STANDARD PLAN 4000 (U )
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENTS/ANALYSES (U )
(U) REFERENCES: See Annex L.
1. ( U) Purpose. In accordance with references a. and b. of Annex L, an appropriate environmental assessment is required to enable DoD officials to be informed and to take account of environmental considerations when authorizing or approving certain major federal actions that do significant harm to the environment of places outside the United States. The form of the assessment is contingent upon the scope and location of the impact (e.g., global commons, foreign jurisdiction, or with a participating nation). State the regulatory or legal requirement for conducting an environmental assessment in conjunction with the supported operation.
2. ( U) Description of Action. Summarize the "major action" and how it does "significant harm to the environment or global resource," and state the type of assessments being prepared. Provide a summary as to whether the proposed operation is a "major action" which does "significant harm to the environment or a global resource", as defined in references a. and b. of Annex L.
3. ( U) Exemption or Exclusion. An exemption or exclusion to conducting an environmental assessment for the operation is not being requested in accordance with references a. or b. of Annex L. Consequently, Appendix 2 is not applicable.
4. ( U) Analysis of Options or Alternatives. The Concept of Operations of Annex L requires the consideration of environmental impacts and efforts to minimize adverse environmental impacts to be accomplished during all aspects of the operation. Document the actions and or alternatives that were considered in the planning of the supported operation to minimize environmental impacts.
5. ( U) Environmental Setting of the Operation. Describe at a minimum, the general environmental setting of the operation (e.g., vegetation, climate, wildlife, archeological and historic sites, water quality, and air quality). Applicable information obtained from this effort will be used in helping to document the initial environmental conditions of any site occupied by U.S. forces as a base camp or observation post as required by Annex L.
6. ( U) Environmental Impact of the Operation. Describe, at a minimum, the impact on the natural and physical environment IAW Reference a. and c.. Applicable information obtained from this effort will be used in helping to document the initial environmental conditions of any site occupied by U.S. forces as a base camp or observation post as required by Annex L.
7. ( U) Mitigation and Monitoring.
Classified by: USCINCEUR
Declassify on: <<Declasson>>