- Management Strategies for Reversing Declines in Landbirds of Conservation Concern on Military Lands: Enhanced Species - Landscape Models and Avian Demographics (Legacy 05-103) [1.51 MB]
September 2006. This document reports on enhancements to a species-landscape model that predicts effects of landscape change on a suite of adult and young birds in the eastern and central U.S. Findings will be used as the basis for subsequent management guidelines for installations in that region of the U.S.
- DoD PIF Mission-Sensitive Priority Bird Species - Minimizing Future Listings of Bird Species to Protect and Sustain the Military Mission [1.41 MB]
- International Conservation - DoD's Connection to Neotropical Migrants in Latin America and the Caribbean [504 KB]
Speeches and Presentations
- PowerPoint Presentation: Migratory Linkages of Burrowing Owls on DoD installations and adjacent lands
This 13 slide presentation presents the hypothesis that this species is redistributing populations in the southwest rather than declining and outlines the methods that will be employed during the course of the project to gather data to corroborate or disprove this hypothesis.
- Presentation: Breeding habitat use and reproductive ecology of Rusty Blackbird
This presentation details the goals methods and findings of a study on the decline of the Rusty Blackbird.
- Steppingstones - Newsletter of the Department of Defense Partners in Flight Program - Summer 2011 [1.39 MB]
- Pamphlet: DoD Legacy Project: Migratory Linkages of Burrowing Owls
This 2 page publication summarizes the objectives, goals, benefits, and those involved in this 4 year project that studies burrowing owls, a species at risk in the southwest.
- DoD PIF - Strategic Plan for Bird Conservation and Management on Department of Defense Lands [2.73 MB]
- Landscaping to Attract Birds [68 KB]
- Bald Eagle Management Guidelines
This memorandum from the Office of the Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health) provides guidance for all installation managers on Management Actions to Protect Bald Eagles after Delisting and provides additional information in the attached Bald Eagle Recovery Questions and Answers, publication from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Memorandum: Guidance to Implement the MOU to Promote Conservation of Migratory Birds, (April 3, 2007) [2.01 MB]
(April 3, 2007) This memorandum from the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology and Logistics) provides a call for all DoD personnel to work cooperatively with the FWS to implement the actions described in the Conservation of Migratory Birds MOU. The attachment to the memorandum provides useful tools in implementing migratory bird conservation by the DoD.