Laws and Regulations
- DoD Directive 4715.11: Environmental and Explosives Safety Management on Operational Ranges within the United States
Establishes policy and assigns responsibilities under DoDD 4715.1 and DoDD 6055.9 for sustainable use and management of operational ranges located within the United States, as well as for the protection of DoD personnel and the public from explosive hazards on operational ranges located within the United States.
- DoD Directive 4715.1 E: Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH)
Establishes policy on Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH) to sustain and improve the DoD mission; continues to authorize the Armed Forces Pest Management Board (AFPMB).
- DoD Directive 4715.12: Environmental and Explosives Safety Management on Operational Ranges outside the United States
Establishes policy for sustainable use and management of operational ranges located outside the United States and for the protection of Department of Defense (DoD) personnel and the public from explosive hazards on operational ranges located outside the United States.
- DoD Environmental Justice Strategy [153 KB]
DoD will integrate the President's policy on environmental justice into its mission by ensuring that its programs, policies, and activities with potential disproportionately high and adverse human health or environmental effects on minority and low-income populations are identified and addressed. Affected communities will be partners in the process to address these concerns; together, we will build a foundation that reflects an awareness and understanding of environmental justice issues. In addition, DoD will annually evaluate progress in implementing and maintaining compliance with the provisions of the Executive order.
- DERP Manual - DoDM 4715.20
The Acting Under Secretary of Defense (AT&L) signed DoD Manual (DoDM) 4715.20, Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) Management on March 9, 2012. DoDM 4715.20 (DERP Manual) is a significant update of guidance established in 2001. The DERP Manual implements policy, assigns responsibilities, and provides guidance and procedures for conducing environmental restoration at DoD facilities and managing the DERP. In addition to implementing DoD Directive 4715.1E and DoD Instruction 4715.7, the DERP Manual aligns the Department's environmental restoration activities with statutory requirements, increases transparency of cleanup efforts, and provides Installation Commanders greater flexibility and authority to consider mission requirements when sequencing cleanup work.
- DoDI 4715.16: Cultural Resources Management
This Instruction establishes DoD policy and assigns responsibilities under the authority of DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 (Reference (a)) and in accordance with DoDD 4715.1E (Reference (b)) to comply with applicable Federal statutory and regulatory requirements, Executive orders (E.O.s), and Presidential memorandums for the integrated management of cultural resources on DoD-managed lands.
- DoDI 4715.14: Operational Range Assessments
Establishes and implements procedures used to assess the potential environmental impacts of the use of military munitions on operational ranges; assists the DoD Components in determining whether there has been a release or a substantial threat of a release of munitions constituents of concern from an operational range to an off-range area; assists the DoD Components in determining whether a release or substantial threat of a release of munitions constituents of concern from an operational range to an off-range area creates an unacceptable risk to human health or the environment; assists the DoD Components' ability to prevent or respond to a release or substantial threat of a release of munitions constituents of concern from an operational range to an off-range area.
- DoDI 4715.13: DoD Noise Program
Establishes policy and assigns responsibilities for a coordinated DoD noise program; provides for the establishment of a DoD Noise Working Group (DNWG).
- DoDI 3200.16: Operational Range Clearance
Implements DoD policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for conducting range clearance pursuant to DoDD 3200.15 and in conformance with DoDD 4715.11 and DoDD 4715.12.
Proposed & Final Regulations
Policy & Guidance
- DSMOA CA Guide [1.37 MB]
- August 2013 Operational Range Assessment Screening Values and Process Flow Chart Memorandum [775 KB]
- August 2013 Operational Range Assessment Screening Values and Process Flow Chart Memorandum Attachment 1: Screening Values [49 KB]
- August 2013 Operational Range Assessment Screening Values and Process Flow Chart Memorandum Attachment 2: Process Flow Chart [88 KB]
- 2009 Hex Chrome Minimization Policy [1.87 MB]
April 8, 2009 ATL policy memo on minimizing the use of Hexavalent Chromium (Cr6+ or HexChrome).
- New DOD Policy - Reimbursement of State Activities in Support of the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) [52 KB]
DUSD(I&E) announces the release of a new Defense Environmental Restoration Policy that allows DoD Components to consider pursuing alternative approaches for reimbursing costs of state services in support of the Defense Environmental Restoration Program.
- Guidance For Recognizing, Measuring and Reporting Environmental Liabilities Not Eligible for DERP Funding [344 KB]
- DUSD(I&E) Memorandum [87 KB]
Use of Fort Eustis FFA as the DoD-EPA Standard FFA, May 2009
- Interim Policy on Integration of Natural Resource Injury Responsibilities and Environmental Restoration Activities [41 KB]
- Policy and Guidance on Land Use Controls Associated with Environmental Restoration Activities [443 KB]
- DoD and EPA Joint Guidance [120 KB]
DoD/EPA Joint Guidance on Streamlined Site Closeout and NPL Deletion Process For DoD Facilities, Jan 2006
- DoD Vapor Intrusion Handbook [732 KB]
- DUSD(I&E) Memorandum [630 KB]
DERP Interim Guidance for Estimating Program Costs and Environmental Liabilities, Dec 2007
- USACE FUDS Program Guidance to Implement Army Interim Policy for Integrating Natural Resource Injury Responsibilities and Environmental Response Activities [61 KB]
- DoD and EPA Interim Final Lead-Based Paint Guidelines for Disposal of Department of Defense Residential Real Property - A Field Guide [612 KB]
- Memorandum of Understanding Between EPA and DoD on Support for Department of Defense (DoD) Cleanup Implementation for Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Installations Rounds I - IV [3.10 MB]
- Relative Risk Site Evaluation Primer [1.84 MB]