Policy and Guidance
Defense Environmental Restoration Program Updates
Munitions Response Dialogue (MRD)
• DoD established the MRD to foster communication and collaboration between representatives from the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), DoD Components, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), State environmental regulators, and Federal Land Managers (FLMs). These entities will use their experiences and expertise to exchange views, information, and advice relating to managing or implementing the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP).
• The MRD has held three face-to-face meetings to date, with the most recent meeting taking place on May 6-7, 2014, in Arlington, Virginia. During this meeting, MRD attendees participated in breakout sessions to discuss land use controls; and advanced classification technology, including data quality, Quality Assurance Project Plans, and training. The group also talked about scoping for a new Workgroup to discuss underwater munitions issues.
• The next MRD meeting will take place on August 5-6, 2014, in San Luis Obispo, California. The meeting will include observation of the unexploded ordnance advanced classification technology that DoD is using at the San Luis Obispo Formerly Used Defense Site. OSD is hosting the MRD meeting in San Luis Obispo to allow DoD, State and Federal regulators, and FLMs to observe and discuss real-time quality control and quality assurance procedures for advanced classification.
Association of State and Territorial Solid Waste Management Officials (ASTSWMO)
• ASTSWMO's mission is to enhance and promote effective State and Territorial programs for waste and materials management, to encourage environmentally sustainable practices, and to affect relevant national waste and materials management policies.
• The Association holds two general membership meetings each year, and a number of specialized roundtables, workshops, and conferences for specific program areas of high interest.
• The last meeting took place on April 23-24, 2014, in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
-The meeting featured the theme “Transitioning Long-Term Management,” with representatives from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Minnesota, and EPA presenting during the plenary sessions.
-Program-specific sessions covered relevant topics of interest to meeting participants, including a discussion on the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and Brownfields.
• The next meeting will take place on October 29-30, 2014, in Reston, Virginia.
• For more information about ASTSWMO, please visit this site.
DoD establishes goals to measure cleanup progress for each program category. In FY2013, DoD performed a thorough review and analysis of existing DERP goals and in March 2013, established updated and consolidated DERP goals. Click here to view the previous and updated goals.
The Defense Environmental Programs Annual Report to Congress provides an overview of the DERP and contains DoD’s progress toward the updated program goals.
FY2013 Fast Facts:
The FY2013 Fast Facts provides a high-level summary of the environmental budgets, the DERP site inventory, and progress toward the DERP goals as of the end of FY2013.
Installation Restoration Program (IRP)/Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP) Status Tables:
These tables present data for the IRP and MMRP as of the end of FY2013. The tables are arranged by installation, state, and DoD Component, and portray various aspects of the DERP such as cleanup status and funding information.