Cultural Resources Planning: Guidance
- Two for the Price of One: Integration of NEPA and NHPA Procedures - Report, 2013 (Legacy 12-520) [3.93 MB]
This report reviews procedural documents from the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force that provide guidance for each service to implement the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA). Manroop K. Chawla, Hal E. Balbach, and Ellen R. Hartman.
- Two for the Price of One: Integration of NEPA and NHPA Procedures - Fact Sheet, 2013 (Legacy 12-520) [87 KB]
- Safeguarding Military Information in Historical Studies - Handbook, 2013 (Legacy 12-516) [3.01 MB]
This handbook is designed to aid the Department of Defense (DoD) cultural resource manager (CRM) and their contractors in understanding the potential for the unauthorized disclosure of national security information that should be protected from public release and how to avoid such a disclosure on cultural resource projects. Karen Van Citters and Brian M. Lione.
- Cultural Resources Public Outreach and Interpretation Source Book - Guide, 2011 (Legacy 10-127) [30.89 MB]
This guide collects existing standards, guidance, and best practices on cultural resources interpretation and public outreach and examples of interpretation and public outreach projects. This project developed an evaluation rubric for comparing effectiveness of diverse project types and used that data to develop a source book of best examples and guidance to help DoD components and installations to develop their own creative cultural resources interpretation and public outreach projects. Chad Blackwell and Marjorie Nowick.
Cultural Resources Planning: Data Management
- DoD Cultural Resources Data Management Needs Assessment - Fact Sheet, 2010 (Legacy 09-443) [165 KB]
This fact sheet describes a project that prepared an assessment of current DoD cultural resources data and data management practices with recommendations for incorporating existing DoD cultural resources data into newly developed data standards developed for the Spatial Data Standard for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE), and for DoD cultural resources spatial and associated business data. Brian Crane.
- Managing Cultural Resources: Compiling and Storing the Data - Report, 2010 (Legacy 09-351) [1.35 MB]
This report describes a project that provided the following benefits: (1) gathered pre-1945 facility-specific data to complement the originally collected Cold War data and provide the same level of information for all pre-1992 facilities at all four installations; (2) established a procedure for creating searchable electronic documents employable at any repository; (3) provided electronic copies of important national, regional, and local contexts and other important CRM documents for intended use by a wide DoD audience; and (4) provided important labor metrics to DoD leadership so they can begin planning for DoD-wide data collection and sharing. Carrie J. Gregory.
- Managing Cultural Resources: Compiling and Storing the Data - Fact Sheet, 2010 (Legacy 09-351) [236 KB]
- Disaster Preparedness Workbook for Cultural Institutions within the Military - Guide, 2009 (Legacy 03-178) [3.75 MB]
This workbook focuses on the disaster related needs of librarians, archivists, and records managers in documentary collections--that is, in collections of printed documents, magnetic media, electronic
records, and so on--of the United States Navy. The workbook outlines plans that deal with a whole range of events, from routine leaks to large-scale natural disasters. Because the workbook is intended for use in Navy installations throughout the world, a wide variety of disasters are covered, but the focus is upon those that are most common within the United States. Beth Patkus and Robert E. Schnare
- DoD Cultural Resources Business Data Standards - Report, 2008 (Legacy 08-369) [300 KB]
This report proposes a minimum set of Cultural Resources Business Data Standards for use in DoD cultural resources management programs. These draft standards represent the minimum set of data and associated attributes that DoD is recommended to collect and maintain in order to support its cultural resources management program. The standards were developed by assessing the current state of cultural resources data collection and management processes in the DoD and identifying all of the data elements associated with those processes. Data Element refers to any piece of data or information that may be needed as part of the DoD cultural resources program. Brian Crane.
- Guidance for a CRM Information Clearinghouse - Fact Sheet, 2007 (Legacy 07-351) [39 KB]
The Clearinghouse Advisory Group (CAG) developed guidance on uploading the data and an upload template to provide a means for consistency throughout the DoD. The Core Team also developed metrics to provide information on time and effort to upload the data. Valerie Renner.
- Innovative Approaches to Cultural Resource Management Through Technology, and Alternative Mitigation Strategies - Presentation [247 KB]
A presentation on mitigation in the Section 106 process. Dave Berwick, Army Affairs Coordinator, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.
Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC)
- Base Closure and Reuse: Fort Benjamin Harrison Case Study - Presentation [874 KB]
A presentation on Fort Benjamin Harrison’s base closure and reuse. Jon C. Smith, Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer.
- Conducting Section 106 Reviews under BRAC - Presentation [142 KB]
A presentation on conducting Section 106 Reviews under Base Re-Alignment and Closure. Charlene Vaughn, Office of Federal Agency Programs, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.
- Preparing for Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) - Presentation [1.55 MB]
A presentation on preparing for Base Realignment and Closure. Paul Lumley, Senior Tribal Liaison, Department of Defense.