Regional Environmental Coordinators
Did you know?
- Military installations and organizations must comply with certain federal, state and local environmental laws.
- U.S. EPA has delegated 71% of their major programs to the states for enforcement.
- On average, state legislators propose 3,000 new state environmental laws each year.
- Over half of these state laws deal with “state unique” programs or requirements.
- On average, there are 2,500 new state environmental rules under development at any given time.
- There are 173 state or local regulatory agencies that write and enforce environmental regulations.
- There are approximately 1850 programs that must be tracked for new rule changes.
- States take 90% or more of all enforcement actions.
DoD REC Functions
- Educate State and Federal agency officials on the military’s operational and environmental needs, priorities and concerns
- Build and communicate coordinated DoD positions on issues important to military sustainment
- Monitor and engage in state legislation and rulemaking
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate partnerships to promote long-term sustainability of the military mission
- Provide strategic regional intelligence and perspectives to service RECs and policymakers at Headquarters