The Education and Outreach Working Group works to instill and foster an avian conservation ethic throughout the Department of Defense to include not only service members, but also the extended DoD community. It acts as a repository for educational materials developed to promote bird conservation on military lands. It provides a forum for installation conservation personnel to develop, host, and participate in local, regional, and large-scale events that provide support for birds and their habitats. These programs highlight the DoD’s commitment to natural resources conservation to their local communities (outreach) and personnel within their fence lines (inreach).
Working Group Goals and Objectives
- Educate DoD senior leadership about national and regional bird conservation organizations and initiatives, and how they support mission relevant goals
- Inform military and installation civilians about complying with migratory bird policy on DoD lands
- Promote and distribute educational and outreach materials about important or timely issues
- Develop, distribute, and post success stories about conservation and mission interactions
- Participate in educational outreach events to installation personnel, the public, and partners both nationally and internationally
- Develop and conduct webinars for DoD personnel on bird conservation topics of mission relevance
For questions, please contact the Working Group Chair Bob Schallmann.