Law Enforcement

People who encounter or suspect they have encountered a munition have been advised to immediately call 911 (local law enforcement) and advise law enforcement what they saw and where they saw it.

Law enforcement officials normally request support of such explosives or munitions emergencies by requesting support from a Department of Defense Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit that supports their area of responsibility.

If not known, law enforcement should contact (703) 695-4695 to request Explosive Ordnance Disposal support of an explosives or munitions emergency.  

Department of Defense (DoD) support to civil authorities is governed by 32 CFR Part 185 Defense Support to Civil Authorities.  The Department of Defense’s policy on Defense Support of Civil Authorities is DoD Directive 3025.18, “Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA,” DoD Manual 3025.01, Volume 1, “Defense Support of Civil Authorities: Overview,” and Joint Publication 3-28, “Defense Support of Civil Authorities.”

3Rs of Explosives Safety